Seven Reasons Why You Need a Recruiter to Help Select Your Next Board Member
Most board member positions are filled by acquaintances from current board members. Frequently they use this practice to show a vote of confidence to the current board by adding the best kind of individual that fits the board’s personality. There is a huge flaw in that logic.
Experience and diversity are number 1 and 2 on the list for qualifications of a new board member.
An experienced board search firm can bring so much more to finding a new board member.
- A process that meets the timeline needed for bringing on a new board member.
- Market information on board compensation.
- Leading the discussion on current board gaps and a bylaw review for best practices.
- More candidates and more diverse candidates.
- Increasing the positive brand awareness in the marketplace.
- Professionally managing the candidate’s expectations when the board makes an alternative choice.
- Feedback about the company from industry executives/peers.
The most important reason on the list is #4, more candidates and more diverse candidates. You can expect to have at least 3-5 times more people contacted and considered for the opportunity with an accomplished board recruiter. Also, candidates will come not from a network of like minded people but from a much more diverse background. A good board recruiter can deliver a very specific candidate profile no matter how diverse it is.
There is much more to finding an awesome board candidate than knowing the right person. For more information about recruiting a board member call or click here.